[scikit-learn] Version 0.21! and plot_tree!

Andreas Mueller t3kcit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 11:12:20 EST 2019

Hey Andrew.
Thanks for your feedback!

On 12/4/19 5:19 AM, Andrew Howe wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> I've been playing around with plot_tree for a while (clearly), and
> have some feedback finally. I'm not very concerned with the
> compactness of the tree. However, for large trees, it's not very easy
> to inspect or traverse. I think it could be very useful to add the
> following ways to /slice-and-dice/ the tree:
>
>   * plot_tree_subtree_node - plots only the portion of the tree that
>     could be accessed by traversing downwards from the specified node
>   * plot_tree_subtree_class - plots the entire tree, highlighting all
>     the traversals that lead to a specific class, other class leaf /
>     branch nodes could be shrunk to save space

Somehow I feel like an interactive visualization would be more useful
for that. Don't you think?
There are tree exploration tools that we could run in jupyter.
If we can do it with just CSS (which is actually reasonably plausible),
then we could ship this with scikit-learn.
That would be completely orthogonal to the matplotlib based code, though.
I had thought about whether it might make sense to do a html based tree
visualization recently and thought it might actually be nicer than the
matplotlib one.
Thoughts?

> Also, I have noted on ver 0.21.3 that the rotate argument does not
> seem to be working in either jupyter lab or ipython, though this seems
> like a known issue.
There seems to be a recent issue:
https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/issues/15694

Is that a feature you really want? That's just me copying something I
didn't mean to copy, and it's not implemented at all.
We could implement it, but I was leaning towards just deleting it.

Cheers,
Andy