[scikit-learn] Consultation: eligibility of inclusion of speed-up?

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Tue Feb 26 04:46:45 EST 2019

I need core devs opinion (please, only core devs, I am sending this on
the public ML for transparency):

The following PR adds a speed up for expansion of polynomial kernels:
https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/pull/13003

According to the author, the speed up is significant (needs to be
verified during a code review).

The paper is a bit below citation level for inclusion of a new method,
however this can be seen as a speed up of Nystrom. Strictly speaking, it
is not just a speed-up, as it introduces a new estimator.

The discussion on the PR is short and quickly reviews the relevant
literature.

My question: should we consider this as acceptable for inclusion
(provided that it does show significant speedups with good prediction
accuracy)? I am asking to know if we start the review and inclusion
process or not.

Cheers,

Gaël