[scikit-learn] Monthly meetings between core developers

Guillaume Lemaître g.lemaitre58 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 15:17:15 EDT 2019

I am +1. This is a great initiative.

IMO, we could make it really regular (i.e., a specific week-day of a
specific week in a month), with a rolling time (for the time-zone issue).
In this matter, we could maybe clear more in advance our agenda instead of
trying to find a date which accommodates everyone.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 21:07, Adrin <adrin.jalali at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm very strongly all in favor, thanks for bringing it up.
>
> About the time-zone issue, I know some other teams with the same
> situation, conduct their meetings
> at different times, so that each time it's inconvenient for different
> people.
>
> Also, I know some of us are full-time on the project, but having regular
> meetings to me is independent
> of that, and I'd really like to hear in these meetings from people like
> Joel and Hanmin too.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrin.
>
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 8:52 PM Nicolas Hug <niourf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> The scikit-learn team have been expanding significantly lately: we have
>> now 3 FTEs in NY, 1 in Berlin, and 3 (soon 4) in Paris.
>>
>> To scale efficiently, I think we should try to communicate more.
>>
>> *I'd like to propose monthly meetings* *between the core-developers*.
>> This would be the occasion to:
>>
>> - communicate what everyone is currently working on
>>
>> - ask for feedback/reviews on some specific PRs
>>
>> - keep everybody apprised of the latest news/decisions regarding the
>> project. Some discussions often take place in channels that some of us may
>> miss.
>>
>> To keep it efficient, maybe we could have a hard time limit, e.g. 30
>> mins. One person would be in charge of conducting the meeting, and another
>> one would take notes. We would take rounds every month. While meetings and
>> notes would be public, only core-developers or strongly-involved members
>> would be invited to join the discussion.
>>
>> I understand the time-zone differences and personal schedules will make
>> it hard to arrange for all of us to be present. I'm not sure how to handle
>> this equitably. We could have a document that sets the agenda and a place
>> to take notes. For members that are not able to join, they can add items
>> onto the agenda with their thoughts before and after the meeting.
>>
>> Core-devs, WDYT?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Nicolas

Guillaume Lemaitre