[scikit-learn] AffinityProp to classify 2D points

Randy Heiland randy.heiland at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 19:33:32 EDT 2019

This is surely a well-studied problem, but I'm enjoying just playing with
it for now. I have a bunch of 2D points (they are actually circles with
possibly varying radii... later) and I'd like to devise a metric of sorts
to quantify their arrangement. At first I was thinking K-means, but I don't
know how many clusters there might be. So I began playing with
AffinityPropagation (for my first time). The results weren't exactly what I
was expecting, and I was wondering what parameters I should tweak to get
different results? In the 2 sample datasets/outcomes at
https://github.com/rheiland/PhysiCell_tools/tree/master/cell_metrics, I
have what I call "uniform" and "clumpy". Can someone offer a general
explanation of why they both have ~25 clusters? I'm probably making false
assumptions about the AP alg. Thanks for any insights.

Next, I'll probably explore some image processing algs and graph algs. But
I'd welcome other ideas.

Randy