[scikit-learn] Outreachy program

Joel Nothman joel.nothman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 21:14:11 EDT 2019

I'm broadly supportive, but just wanted to note our challenges with
mentoring GSoC in the past:

   - Limited mentor availability should not be a big issue now.
   - Need to focus on a single project may not be well aligned with
   Scikit-learn's goals, or may not yield optimal code results.
   - Reviewers may feel compelled to expedite the merge of materials not
   clearly up to standard or useful.
   - Needs to be an investment in someone who would continue involvement
   with the project. In this case it's not clear whether having ongoing
   involvement is as essential an outcome for the project to be worthwhile.

Given the relatively large base of funded contributors / core devs at the
moment, there may be a challenge finding projects with low assumed
knowledge, at least if they involve code.