[scikit-learn] Need for multioutput multivariate algorithm for Random Forest in Python (using Mahalanobis distance)

Nicolas Hug niourf at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 08:54:29 EST 2020

> For my knowledge’s sake, could you please inform me about the
> technique being employed now to take advantage of the correlations
> between targets? Is it the Mahalanobis distance or some other metric?
> In other words, could you please give me a hint as to the underlying
> reason why the single output predictions differ from the multioutput
> predictions?

I don't know much more than what's already in the doc that I linked to.
Namely, the best split is the chosen to minimize the *average* criteria
across all outputs, instead of just using a single output. You'll find
more details in the code.

About the docs: we generally try to write all the useful info about the
estimators in the "User Guide" section
(https://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/ensemble.html#forests-of-randomized-trees).
In this case you can find a link to the multi-output handling. Sometimes
the info is instead in the docstrings. That's not always perfect though,
and the link might not have been there when you first looked. We're
working hard to keep on improving the docs. But there's so much info
that it's easy to miss some...

Welcome back to python!