[scikit-learn] About the Boston housing prices dataset

Adrin adrin.jalali at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 04:34:22 EDT 2020

Most of those are not talking about the ethical issues of the dataset.
Let's talk about the alternatives we have:

Keep the loader, but raise a warning:
- this will result in most people not changing their code/material, and IMO
mostly ignore the warning. Some
people may see the warning and care about it.

Deprecate, and point them to an alternative dataset, and if they really
really want the same dataset, point them
to the openml ID:
- People will have to change something, and if we give them a nice
copy/paste-able alternative which is not boston,
they'll use that instead.
- Some people will keep using boston from openml, and not care about the
ethical implications

As an addition, we can keep the load_boston in the docs only, and point
users to alternatives even after removing
the loader.