[scikit-learn] Regarding negative value of sklearn.metrics.r2_score and sklearn.metrics.explained_variance_score

Samir K Mahajan samirkmahajan1972 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:18:45 EDT 2021

Dear Christophe Pallier,  Reshama Saikh and Tromek Drabas,
Thank you for your kind response.  Fair enough. I go with you R2 is not a
square.  However, if you open any  book of econometrics,  it says R2 is  a
ratio that lies between 0  and 1.  *This is the constraint.* It measures
the proportion or percentage of the total variation in  response
variable (Y)  explained by the regressors (Xs) in the model . Remaining
proportion of variation in Y, if any,  is explained by the residual term(u)
Now, sklearn.matrics. metrics.r2_score gives me a negative value lying on a
linear scale (-5.763335245921777). This negative value breaks the *constraint.
*I just want to highlight that. I think it needs to be corrected. Rest is
up to you .

I find that  Reshama Saikh  is hurt by my email. I am really sorry for
that. Please note I never undermine your  capabilities and initiatives. You
are great people doing great jobs. I realise that I should have been more
sensible.

My regards to all of you.

Samir K Mahajan