[SciPy-dev] plotting enhancements and copyright

Jochen Küpper jochen at unc.edu
Wed Oct 31 16:57:20 EST 2001

Cc'ed to the scipy lists.
Should also make it into the archive.

This message is to inform the users and developers od SciPy what's
going on in politics.

The plot_window class (an earlier version of which I send to this
lists) or respective changes to plot_canvas and some further changes
to scipy.plt won't get included in scipy 'cause of politcal issues.

This is sad as it provided a first implementation of zooming and an
*useful* interface to use scipy.plt as wxWindow in other applications.

See below for more.
Because this is new for most people I cite a little more.

Eric,

eric> 4) Do you feel strongly about the inclusion of the copyright?

For clarification: This is refering to a line at the top of the
respective source file: "#Copyright (C) 2001 Jochen Küpper"

>> Yes. The code is copyrighted by me anyway, so why not tell everybody?

eric> Ok.  Unfortunately, I am not interested in encumbering the
eric> existing code with another copyright for a single or even
eric> multiple additional features.  This sort of thing is almost
eric> never done because it can lead to major hassles in the future
eric> trying to work with the 20 people who have added feature patches
eric> and bug fixes to a file over its lifetime.

What problems are you thinking of here? Changing the license?
What else?

eric> So I guess the best thing to do then if for you to derive a new
eric> plot_canvas class and add/override the methods you need to and
eric> place it in a new module.

That's what I did to begin with.

eric> You can then copyright this module.

Yeah. I guess I just put it into jkext, so I can everything the way I
like it, not restricted by scipy rules.  (I do not want to argue about
these rules. I think there have to be rules and the ones that are
there are appropriate for the project from my point of view.)  The
module is GPL'ed.

eric> I guess you need to include the Enthought/BSD copyright also if
eric> any or my original code is in the modules and you plan on
eric> distributing it separately.

Yes.

eric> As for how it is handled in SciPy, I'm not sure.  We can include
eric> your module, but the zoom capability is also likely to be folded
eric> back into the original class once someone has the time to sit
eric> down and work on the graphics code (with someone having to redo
eric> your work).

It isn't hard, as I showed.
I actually spent more time to fit it into scipy than writing the stuff
in the first place:( And this while I was learning wxPython.

eric> I guess we'll need to add a policy that copyrights for patches
eric> and bug fixes will need to be assigned to the original code
eric> author or copyright holder. Contributors will be acknowledged in
eric> the THANKS file.  This is the standard practice in OS projects
eric> so I didn't feel the need to make it explicit, but I will now to
eric> prevent future confusion on the issue.  New modules can retain
eric> the authors copyright, as long as it is BSD compliant (or
eric> whatever we eventually end up with).

I think you are confusing things here. "Copyright" and "license" are
two distinct features. Any code I write I do have a copyright on, no
matter what the license is. I can give up my copyright i.e. by
transfering it to someone else, but unless I explicitely do that I'll
own the copyright.

The license is whole different story. (I am ok with the BSD style
licens, esp. since I see that there is (good) reasoning behind it.)

Many people never write the FSF-papers. So far I am one of them. (Not
that they would seriously need mine.)
For now I am not going to transfer my copyright on BSD licensed code
to a company, sorry.

I wish SciPy good luck!

Bye,
Jochen
- --
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité                GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll