[SciPy-dev] weave -- inline C/C++ in Python, an implementation

Fernando Pérez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Sat Jan 5 03:31:28 EST 2002

> How does this compare to your setup?  Is there anything else we should
> compare?  Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mandrake box to check
> things -- but I thought they were very similar to RH in their setup.

let's see. First, some info on my setup:

root[site-packages]# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Linux-Mandrake 8.0 2.96-0.48mdk)

In [4]: Numeric.__version__
Out[4]= '20.2.1'

In [5]: print sys.version
2.1.1 (#1, Aug 30 2001, 17:36:05)
[GCC 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.1 2.96-0.61mdk)]

> You might get a little more of a clue what is breaking by changing line 81
> of weave/tests/test_blitz_tools.py from:
>            blitz_tools.blitz(expr,arg_dict,{},verbose=0)
>           blitz_tools.blitz(expr,arg_dict,{},verbose=2)
>
> This will print out all the compilation steps.  However, I have a feeling
> they are working, and the abort occurs when trying to import the compiled
> library.  Still, maybe we can glean something.
>
> Also, to test everything except for blitz, you can comment out the test()
> and test_suite() functions at the bottom of weave.blitz_tools.py.  This will
> allow you to test whether non-blitz/Numeric stuff is working.

Well, did both of the above and the result is even less informative:

[snipped early part]
No test suite found for  weave.sequence_spec
.......Abort
[~/test]>

I don't get *any* compilation warnings whatsoever, and the root of the problem
doesn't seem to be in the blitz stuff since it's commented out.

Any ideas? One thing I noticed, and I don't know if it may cause problems:
your files have DOS line endings (\r\n). In emacs these show up as ugly ^M
characters at the end of every line, but I don't know if they can confuse
python. If nothing else, do you know if there's a way to have distutils clean
up the line endings for each platform?

I'll try to put some error messages somewhere, but since I don't know the code
at all I can't make any promises. My setup is fairly normal and I haven't seen
any problems with any other python or numeric packages, so I'm kind of lost
here.

I'll let you know.

cheers,