[SciPy-dev] Automated get_version

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Jan 5 12:50:10 EST 2002

    PP> I have commited a new function get_version to scipy_distutils
    PP> that provides automatic versioning of packages developed
    PP> within CVS repositories. Here is the signature of get_version:

    PP> def get_version(release_level='alpha', path='.', major=None):
    PP> """ Return version string calculated from CVS tree or found in
    PP> <path>/__version__.py. Automatically update
    PP> <path>/__version__.py if the version is changed.  An attempt
    PP> is made to guarantee that version is increasing in time. This
    PP> function always succeeds. None is returned if no version
    PP> information is available.

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm afraid I really dont understand
this too well.  Does get_version automatically change the version?  So
if I were to rebuild the sources the version would increase?  If
get_version changes the version maybe the name should be set_version
and not get_version.  Or maybe you should have two separate functions
for each.

prabhu