[SciPy-dev] Trouble with sdist.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Jan 10 12:50:42 EST 2002

hi,

I am unable to create an sdist with the latest CVS tree. :(

$ python setup.py sdist -d /tmp
[snip]
  File "scipy_distutils/command/sdist.py", line 93, in make_distribution
    self.make_release_tree(base_dir, self.filelist.files)
  File "scipy_distutils/command/sdist.py", line 32, in make_release_tree
    dest_files = remove_common_base(files)
  File "scipy_distutils/command/sdist.py", line 126, in remove_common_base
    results = [string.replace(file,base,'') for file in files]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/string.py", line 369, in replace
    return s.replace(old, new, maxsplit)
ValueError: empty pattern string

I tried fixing scipy_distutils/command/sdist.py to do this:

  results = []
  if base:
    results = [string.replace(file,base,'') for file in files]

But then I got a trivially small tarball (341 bytes -- I've heard of
good compression but this is too much ;).  I'm unable to figure out
why the problem occurs.

prabhu