[SciPy-dev] Major CVS changes to weave

Steve M. Robbins steven.robbins at videotron.ca
Thu Sep 12 13:08:57 EDT 2002

Hi Eric,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:10:22AM -0500, eric jones wrote:

> 2.
> I've switched from CXX to Gordon McMillan's SCXX for list, tuples, and
> dictionaries.  I like CXX pretty well, but its use of advanced C++
> (templates, etc.) caused some portability problems.  The SCXX library is
> similar to CXX but doesn't use templates at all.  This, like (1) is not an
> API compatible change and requires repairing existing code.
>
> I have also thought about boost python, but it also makes heavy use of
> templates.  Moving to SCXX gets rid of almost all template usage for the
> standard type converters which should help portability.

I don't mean to second-guess your decision, especially since I know nothing
of the details of SCXX nor of boost python.  However, portability is
probably one of the stronger reasons to switch TO boost.  Those guys are
absolutely rabid about supporting a wide variety of compiler/platform
pairs.  Boost is heavily templated throughout, but they still manage
to build on a number of disparate compilers, so I figure they have
the portable use of templates down to a science by now.

> 6.
> blitz++ was upgraded to the latest CVS.  It compiles about twice as fast
> as the old blitz and looks like it supports a large number of compilers
> (including SGI, Steve)

Woohoo!  Sounds good.

Cheers,
-Steve