[SciPy-dev] scipy after CVS changes ...

baecker at physik.tu-dresden.de baecker at physik.tu-dresden.de
Fri Mar 14 18:42:01 EST 2003

Hi,

a have few remarks/questions after the recent changes in CVS.

First the installation went fine
(debian testing, installation with Numeric23.0).

1.) trying chaco as well:

    I tried to uncomment the line (in setup.py) to install chaco
    #scipy_packages += chaco_packages
    and got as error:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "setup.py", line 107, in ?
        setup_package()
      File "setup.py", line 82, in setup_package
    config_list += map(get_package_config,scipy_packages)
      File "setup.py", line 63, in get_package_config
        mod = __import__('setup_'+os.path.basename(name))
    ImportError: No module named setup_freetype

2.) Question: is there a log-file of the installation process ?
    (this might help to trace errors etc.)

3.) Finally, I have a few cosmetic remarks on INSTALL.txt:
    - under INSTALLATION it says:
      "run python setup_scipy_core.py install"

      setup_scipy_core.py is now in scipy_core under the name setup.py

      Moreover, I think this step is not necessary anymore, i.e.
      a straight `python setup.py install` will do the job, or ?
      (so the next line `python setup_scipy.py install`
      should be changed accordingly).

      I think the topic TESTING should be moved straight
      after the `python setup.py install` instructions
      (maybe with an "(Highly recommended)" added ?)

      The section TROUBLESHOOTING has to be updated according
      to the new setup:
        6) cd scipy/linalg --> cd scipy/Lib/linalg

           (actually, for my machine I get
            python -c 'import atlas_version'
            Traceback (most recent call last):
            File "<string>", line 1, in ?
            ImportError: ./atlas_version.so: undefined symbol:
            ATL_buildinfo

            However, I thought (up to now) that my (debian provided)
            atlas is fine ... ;-)

        7)  change to:
            python scipy_core/scipy_distutils/system_info.py
            python scipy_core/scipy_distutils/command/build_flib.py

Arnd