[SciPy-dev] gui_thread issue

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Fri Nov 5 02:13:25 EST 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>    >>
>    >> This is expected. You have to do gui_thread.start() first.
>
>    PW> <blushes>
>
>    PW> Yeah I realized this just now - I was thrown off a bit because
>    PW> modal_example() worked fine without gui_thread.start().
>
> We really need to clean up gui_thread.  modal_sample is doing this::
>
>    def modal_sample():
>        import gui_thread
>        prxyDirDialog = gui_thread.register(wxDirDialog)
>        q=prxyDirDialog(None)
>        q.ShowModal()
>
> I.e. it is using the old, untested, and most probably broken approach.
> With the new approach to gui_thread you no longer need to register a
> class and then use it.  I'm actually a bit surprised that
> modal_sample() works at all given all that is going on.

gui_thread.register is wrapped in gui_thread.__init__ to return
its argument. So, modal_sample is acctually using the new approach.

> Is SciPy moving to SVN?

Yes, that was the plan..

> Should we just remove all references to the
> old way and make the new way the default?  The old code will still be
> useful so perhaps we create an 'old' directory and move stuff there?
>
> So what is the consensus on this?

I'd remove the old code since it didn't work well and clean up code that
uses gui_thread.

Btw, is there any reason that gui_thread.start() should not be executed
while importing gui_thread? People tend to forget executing
gui_thread.start().

Pearu