[SciPy-dev] Numeric integrators in ode.py

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 15 13:19:55 EST 2004

Nils Wagner wrote:

> I have asked Professor Hairer. We are free to use their software.
> However, the source should be cited via the webpage

OK, that's a first step.  Now here's the mini-manual for the rest, in one gulp.

0. Since you are the one who needs this particular functionality right now,
the 'we' in your quote is going to be 'you'.  Sorry, but that's pretty much
how the open source game is played: each developer scratches a particular
itch, and little by little we can scratch the whole elephant.

1. Make sure you do a bit of comparative research on the various options.
Wrapping a big library is a significant effort, so you want to make sure you
pick a good one.  The quality of code out there varies dramatically.  You
might want to post your findings here, as perhaps others can make suggestions
on this topic.

2. Wrap the whole thing, test it well, and make it available as a standalone
code.  It's fine for it to depend on scipy core functions, but you can package
it as a standalone python package first.  Be mindful of two critical areas:
proper docstrings and unit tests.

3. If it serves you well in real world use for a while, and others also find
it useful, it will quite likely be incorporated.

Good luck!  It will be great to have a new contribution to scipy.

Best,