[SciPy-dev] Building scipy with GNU Fortran 95 (gcc 4)

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Sun Nov 13 02:37:21 EST 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Robert Kern wrote:

> Pearu Peterson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The support for building scipy with GNU Fortran 95 (gcc 4) compiler is now
>> added to SVN. To build scipy using gfortran, use
>>
>>    python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 build
>
> We need to be careful with names here. There is gfortran[1], which is
> officially part of the GNU Compiler Collection as of gcc 4.
>
> There is also g95[2], which isn't[3].
>
> I would prefer that the --fcompiler name be gfortran to help avoid
> confusion.
>
> [1] http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/
> [2] http://www.g95.org/
> [3] http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/TheOtherGCCBasedFortranCompiler

Yes, for g95[2] we already have --fcompiler=g95. I choosed
--fcompiler=gnu95 to be similar to --fcompiler=gnu as they are
closely related by the gcc project.

As I understand from gfortran man pages, gfortran will replace g77 in
future, and so, in future  --fcompiler=gnu should look for gfortran as
well. For now we need to keep g77 and gfortran support separate as g77-3.4
is the recommended Fortran compiler by the gcc developers.

So, I would still prefer gnu95 name over gfortran.

Pearu