[SciPy-dev] Mac OS X and gcc 4.2

Chris Kees christopher.e.kees at erdc.usace.army.mil
Wed Aug 16 16:34:49 EDT 2006

Good Afternoon,

I'm trying to port  a set  of  finite  element  tools and linear/
nonlinear multilevel solvers  to the new  numpy and  scipy. I'm
having trouble  even building the trunk of numpy and  scipy on Mac
OS  X using a  recent build of gcc  (version 4.2.0 20060710) . Is
it  pointless  for  me  to even try using something besides apple's
gcc  3.3? I'm just getting simple unrecognized option errors, but I
don't  know how to modify the configuration to get rid  of  them or
ignore  them.  Could  anyone  give me some pointers  here?

Thanks,
Chris

errors with gcc 4.2:

gcc: _configtest.c
gcc: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
gcc: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
failure.
removing: _configtest.c _configtest.o