[SciPy-dev] "branching" a package inside scipy ?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 12:04:13 EST 2006

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     It is a bit OT, but I would like to know if it is possible to
> "branch" a package under scipy hierarchy. Specifically, I am about to
> change heavily some internal of my toolbox pyem in the sandbox, which
> may involve some changes of scipy.clusters (I would wait for approval
> for committing the changes once done of course), but I would like to
> continue fixing some bugs and so on in the trunk.
>
>     Is this possible for someone with write access to scipy SVN ?

Certainly. Here is a brief outline on how to do it. I recommend ignoring most of
the first half, which describes the manual procedure, and using the svnmerge.py
tool that I describe in the latter half. It simplifies the process immensely.

  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/MakingBranches

All of the examples there branch the whole trunk. The only change you have to
make is to use the URL directly to the cluster/ directory:

  http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk
    -->
  http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk/Lib/cluster

--