[SciPy-dev] No time for SciPy release today

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sat Jan 7 23:11:02 EST 2006

Ed Schofield wrote:

>On 06/01/2006, at 10:17 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>I'm not going to have time to make a release of (full) SciPy today.
>>
>>It builds find out of SVN.  I'm starting classes on Monday (and
>>have to
>>get back to the seven other things I've left holding while putting
>>NumPy
>>out) so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for it over the next few
>>weeks.
>>
>>If somebody else wants to take a stab at making a release of (full)
>>SciPy, I can point you in the right direction.
>>

>I'll take a stab at it :)

This is what I do (check this set of instructions for errors, it's off
the top of my head).

1) Tag the tree by copying to a new directory in the tags

svn cp http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk
http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/tags/version.major.minor

2) Switch to that new tag branch

svn switch http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/tags/version.major.minor

3) Remove the svn versioning magic from the version.py file (may not be
necessary???)

4) Build source distribution

python setup.py sdist

5) *Go to dist directory* and untar the created distribution...  Do some
binary distribution from this freshly untarred package (this can help
pick up errors in the setup.py files)  e.g. python setup.py bdist_rpm.
You should also install to your machine from this build and run tests...

6) Copy the resulting packages back up to the main scipy/dist  directory

7) Check-out the SVN release tag on a windows box.

8) Build for Python 2.4 and Python 2.3 using

python setup.py bdist_wininst    # with appropriately setup
distutils.cfg file for the compiler you will be using.

9) Install the resulting windows binaries and run the tests...

10) Put the resulting files somewhere (probably the new scipy.org
site...) --- sourceforge is actually a pain to release files to....

All of this takes anywhere from 1-3 hours, depending on problems.
Perhaps somebody clever could right a series of programs to do it all ;-)

-Travis