[SciPy-dev] SciPy now loads all of numpy namespace...

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Sun Jan 8 02:52:17 EST 2006

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Given some valid comments that (old) scipy subsumed the Numeric
> namespace and the recent separation undid that, I've re-added back to
> SciPy  the new NumPy namespace.   This should fix code that relied on
> that behavior.
>
> I think that behavior should probably be deprecated, but I don't think
> we can just cut it for the moment.

I think this behavior will then last forever. The usage of `from scipy
import *` to get numpy symbols can only get "worse" unless such an
import will emit some depreciation warning (this would be possible via
scipy.__all__ list that contains a name to a module that only emits a
warning when imported).

If we don't cut it now, we can never cut it. I'd vote for 0 on cutting.

Pearu