[SciPy-dev] Is it ok to depend on ctypes for scipy code ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jun 13 23:17:42 EDT 2007

Robert Kern wrote:

> <shrug> Dynamic linking is inherently platform specific. Everyone does it
> differently. It just happens that Windows' choices gets in the way in this
> particular instance.
Well, details are platform specific of course, but at least solaris and
linux are similar enough (I think there is no difference in System V and
BSD anymore on recent unices), and OS X using gcc alleviates the dylib
specificity. But complaining about it won't make it go away anyway, so
just forget that I said that.

> I think you may be reading my statement out of context. Andrew asked about
> building shared libraries for ctypes' use by abusing distutils to build a fake
> extension module from it.
Mmh, do you mean building a library with

config.add_extension('foo',

        sources=[join('src', 'vq.c') ])

is not enought to load it through ctypes on windows ? I certainly do not
want to add any more burden for scipy distribution, as this is already a
big problem. I will try something else, but it is a bit problematic for
scipy.sandbox.svm, because I will have to redo all the wrapping, which I
didn't plan,

cheers,

David