[SciPy-dev] Proposal for more generic optimizers (posted before on scipy-user)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:27:12 EDT 2007

dmitrey wrote:

> All people in my department are opensourse followers; we have much
> optimization-related software (most is for nonsmooth funcs & network
> problems, we research them from 1965), but almost all is Fortran-written.
> I intend to call for GSoC support, but the only one scipy-related person
> I found in http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/Mentors is Jarrod
> Millman <http://wiki.python.org/moin/JarrodMillman>
> And as far as I understood from conversation with some persons from PSF,
> this year in GSoC they are interested first of all in Python core, so
> chances for getting support are very low. However, if you can help me in
> any way please inform me.

The Space Telescope Science Institute is also a mentoring organization this
year, and they have offered to take some scipy projects, too.

  http://code.google.com/soc/stsci/about.html
  http://www-int.stsci.edu/~aconti/GSoC.htm

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco