[SciPy-dev] mlabwrap scikit [Was: Re: scikits project]

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 22:32:33 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there a recipe/template for this somewhere? Googling "scipy setuptools"
> > comes up with
> >
> >  <http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/SetupTools>
> >
> > as the first hit, which seems to indicate that setuptools is still a bit alpha
> > and the docs can't be trusted if one wants something that actually works.
>
> Fernando's a curmudgeon, and that page is old. Ignore him.  :-)

I certainly won't dispute the curmudgeon part :)  And that page /is/
indeed old: if the problems that led me to develop my personal flavor
of setuptools-allergy have all been solved, then my strategy will have
worked out like a charm: wait things out, let a few high-profile
projects start using setuptools and run into all these problems, and
let that force the technical reality of setuptools catch up to the
marketing.

I'm sure the system has lots of good features, and it's even likely we
may end up using it a lot in ipython for 1.0.  By now things are
probably a lot better than 2 years ago.

Cheers,