[SciPy-dev] mlabwrap 2.0 vs. mlabwrap 1.1/1.5

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue May 15 02:04:55 EDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What are your reasons for wanting to get out a scikits release first and
> > foremost? I ask because I'm a bit reluctant to release a repackaged mlabwrap
> > 1.0 as scikits.mlabwrap 1.1, unless it solves some concrete problem.
>
> I would have thought this would be a useful step.  It will get people
> used to the scikits location, provide a scikits example for other
> projects, remove numarray numeric compatibility issues, thus
> simplifying the install.  Also the rpath stuff will help the install,
> and those of us using mlabwrap in larger projects should have fewer
> places to point at for installation instructions as sckits gets going.
>  I doubt the differences in the import statement will bother many of
> us.

I agree with Matthew.   I think it would be useful to get a stable
version of the new mlabwrap asap.  The new API changes and ctypes
conversion should be given time to fully bake.  In the meantime, it
would be useful to:
 (1) get a scikits project released;
 (2) have a release of mlabwrap with a simplified install;
 (3) remove numeric and numarray code; and
 (4) use numpy testing.

You could call the release 1.1/1.5/1.9 or whatever.  The higher 1.X
release would indicate that the release is close to a 2.X release.  I
don't think the import changes are going to cause anyone problems.

I am eager to get a scikit project released, so that other potential
scikit projects will have some example to follow.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley