[SciPy-dev] Inclusion of cython code in scipy

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 02:17:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Anne Archibald
<peridot.faceted at gmail.com> wrote:

>  What do people think about including cython code in scipy?

Writing a substantial amount of code in a special-purpose language
like Cython is always risky.  Will Cython exist in 5,10,15 years?

I have little doubt that in 10 years I'll still be able to compile the
C/C++ codes I develop today.  Furthermore, if Cython/SWIG/SciPy/NumPy
disappeared overnight I'd still have a decent library to work with.
IMO using Cython for one-off application or wrappers is fine, but
large-scale Cython implementation is probably a bad long-term
approach.

I don't mean to dismiss the merits of Cython.  It certainly has a
niche and might very well become the "right" way to interface Python
to compiled code.  OTOH I find the Cython proponents to be a bit
overzealous, so I'm wary of signing on just yet :)

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/