[SciPy-dev] Inclusion of cython code in scipy

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Apr 25 08:23:48 EDT 2008

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:

> I would prefer it, however, if the ability to compile Python were done
> without changing the language.

That's certainly the best way, and that's why I am a bit wary about
replacing python code by cython (once it becomes possible to
compile/accelerate pure python code, we would have to code cython
modules again; I would much prefer replacing some C by cython, and be
sure there is always a pure python implementation available, even if
really slow).

>  It looks like Cython is moving in that
> direction, but it is not quite there yet.
>
> My ideal world would be the ability to emit machine instructions
> directly at various points in the Python code by just writing a
> restricted set of Python syntax.  Perhaps this could be seamless.

Not that it is in any useful form, but pypy folks are now working on
supporting floating point operations in their jit:

http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2008/04/float-operations-for-jit.html

cheers,

David