[SciPy-dev] Variogram code?

Anand Patil anand.prabhakar.patil at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:14:46 EST 2008

Hi all,

I have a small variogram module I'd like to make available. All it
does is compute directional variograms on the sphere. It has a little
bit of fortran code. Questions:

- Should I be making an effort to interface with any code in the stats module?

- The output is essentially a list of bar-graph components. On my
computer, I have a function that uses matplotlib to actually plot the
variograms. Should I wrap the function in a try block, so that it will
be available if 'from pylab import *' works, or get rid of it?

- When making directional variograms, the code bins by bearing angle
rather than by atan2(delta long, delta lat). Is this the best way to
do it? The bearing angle seems to make more sense but
  - bearing(a,b) isn't necesarily equal to pi + bearing(b,a), so the
same pair can go in two different bins, and
  - the bins tend to look strange on a cylindrical projection if the
points are far apart.
I haven't been able to find much guidance in the literature.

- How should I package the module, and how can I get it to someone who
can put it in the repository?

Thanks,
Anand