[SciPy-dev] Problems packaging GSoC statsmodels code as scikit

Skipper Seabold jsseabold at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 13:28:29 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM, David Cournapeau<cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Skipper Seabold<jsseabold at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Known issue. setuptools installs files with the executable flag set
>>> (for quite silly reasons), and nosetests refuses to load such files by
>>> default. nose 0.11 has an option to disable that behavior.
>>>

>> This is the case, of course.  I'm just not clear on what the
>> workaround is for the statsmodels tests (ie., not running nosetests on
>> the command line).  Do I need to change the tests to inherit from
>> np.testing.TestCase?  If so, then I think I need to move all of the
>> __init__ setup of the tests to a setup method.  I don't see any
>> special configuration options in any of the other scikits.
>
> I don't think there is any workaround, except for putting everything
> back to no executable bit or using nose 0.11.
>
> Hopefully, that's one of this stupid setuptools annoyance which will
> be fixed in the distribute fork,

Whoa, that's odd.  Yeah it's the same with other scikits.  I assumed
that I was just missing something, as I'm still very much a neophyte.
Thanks.

Is it bad form to make package.test_linux() pass an argument to the
shell with the --exe option for nosetests, assuming there is a check
for the version of nosetests?  I suppose I could just add a note to
the README.

Skipper