[SciPy-dev] Doc-ing classes and data attributes

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:11:29 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> longer
> MyClass()"
> > >
> > > IMHO, it would be clearer if the __init__ method was documented
> > > separately. It can be included on the same page in the Sphinx output as
> > > the class quite easily. This would allow separate referring to the
> class
> > > constructor via eg. :ref:`ndarray <ndarray.__init__>` which might
> result
> > > to cleaner documentation.
> >
> > I wouldn't mind changing this part of the standard.  Robert, I
> > remember you had a preference last time, do you want to comment?
>
> I have always preferred documenting the __init__'s Parameters in the
> class docstring because one calls the class object itself.

I prefer this as well. Why make it more complicated unless there's a good
reason?
Also, IPython will maybe still be able to do the right thing if both class
and __init__ are documented, but the standard Python prompt's help()
function will not. And there are still a lot of users of the standard
prompt, simply because it's the standard.