[SciPy-Dev] Initial support for Harwell Boeing sparse matrix format

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 20:48:44 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:37 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>wrote:

> Indeed. I wonder how we want to export this into scipy.io: I think for
> file format it actually makes sense to say from scipy.io.format_name
> import function instead of putting everything into scipy.io, but I
> don't feel strongly about it either.
>
> cheers,

+1

Organizing the routines into
  scipy.io.harwell_boeing.*
  scipy.io.matrix_market.*
would be clearer and provide a logical home for high-level and low-level
APIs.

Ideally there'd be some level of uniformity among the highest-level APIs so
that one could do
  scipy.io.{format_name}.read(source)
and obtain a semi-standardized result (e.g. dictionary of name->value pairs,
where the names can be invented if not specified in the format).

If that was feasible, we could additionally provide
  scipy.io.read(source)
which could (under many circumstances) dispatch the appropriate reader.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://www.wnbell.com/