[SciPy-Dev] scipy.io.wavfile

Jean-Louis Durrieu jean-louis at durrieu.ch
Thu Feb 2 07:31:26 EST 2012

Hi Warren,

On Jan 22, 2012, at 9:40 PM, Warren Weckesser wrote:

> Yes, this *is* the right place to discuss this!  Sorry if my terse email gave the wrong impression.

No worries! I must admit I did not check enough whether this issue had been raised before, I ll check the wiki more often!

> As Pauli also said, it is just a matter of someone contributing the implementation.  I think it would be great to have a more robust wav file reader.

I m wondering if it would not be possible to directly integrate the source from libsndfile? As many might know, David Cournapeau did a "wrapper" for it (scikits.audiolab), but I guess there is some licensing issue...

In the meantime, it would be a good trade-off if there were some warning messages when importing scipy.io.wavfile, stating for which data type and which format it is intended to work. But yeah, it is up to someone to contribute...

Best regards,

Jean-Louis Durrieu