[SciPy-Dev] Trac performance?

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Mon Feb 6 22:09:20 EST 2012

On Feb 6, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 05.02.2012 12:59, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
> >> Is there an end in sight for the troubles with Trac? It's driving me
> >> completely crazy. So if not, I'm willing to invest some time in moving
> >> all the relevant content on the Trac wikis somewhere else (suggestions
> >> welcome). I'm thinking about things like development plans, GSOC info,
> >> list of maintainers per module, etc.
> >
> > Newer versions of Trac are supposed to alleviate the "database is
> > locked" error, which is a PITA. So upgrading the software could help.
> >
> > I think moving stuff out from the Trac could be useful in any case, as
> > its account management is not so transparent. As for the developer wiki
> > info --- how about turning on wikis on Github and using them? Does
> > someone have experience on how usable they actually are?
> >
> > As for dropping Trac completely -- last time around, I think the Github
> > issues system lacked features. I think they've added some stuff since
> > then, though.
>
> They have added milestone, which is something that is a must for
> release management IMO. Otherwise, it is quite limited, but OTOH,
> that's one less thing to worry about, and it is not like trac is a
> great issue tracker either. github actually has a few features that
> are sorely lacking in our current trac, like a decent REST API and
> mass-editing of existing issues.
>

> And github will probably continue to improve issue tracking in the future at a decent rate. It might make sense to get on that train now instead of running after the caboose later on.

> Chuck

I'm very supportive of this because of the ease of management and the APIs available on github.   I met Tom Preston-Warner (founder of GitHub) last fall and had breakfast with him.   He is aware of the SciPy community, and I mentioned the issue tracking problems when we talked.   Perhaps a few of us could contact him, thank him for the great progress made so far on the issue tracking, and continue to gently encourage him in the direction of better Issue Tracking.

It does sound like things are getting better on that front.

Best regards,

-Travis