[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Goal

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:32:15 EST 2012

Some comments on signal processing:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think scipy signal (like matlab) implement only a
general purpose filter, which is an IIR filter, single rate.  Efficiency is very
important in my work, so I implement many optimized variations.

Most of the time, FIR filters are used.  These then come in variations for
single rate, interpolation, and decimation (there is also another design for
rational rate conversion).  Then these have variants for scalar/complex
input/output, as well as complex in/out with scalar coefficients.

IIR filters are seperate.

FFT based FIR filters are another type, and include both complex in/out as well
as scalar in/out (taking advantage of the 'two channel' trick for fft).