[SciPy-Dev] ipython notebook for docs/examples

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun May 13 20:42:09 EDT 2012

Hi Alex,

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM, alex arsenovic <aia8v at virginia.edu> wrote:
> i recently took a look  at the ipython notebook feature. its  awesome.
> if it is interface-able with sphinx, i could write docs way faster.
> also, it seems to me that making interactive tutorials/examples with
> this accesable through a  server would work great.
>
> has this idea already been considered? if not , does anyone have
> thoughts on this?

Sure :)  Just to give everyone a quick status check on this idea: the
main point is that we haven't yet finished the machinery to generate
sphinx-compatible rst from notebooks.  The code currently lives in a
standalone repo:

https://github.com/ipython/nbconvert

So this is still a bit 'raw'.  But with a bit of luck, in a few days
I'll finish off the rst conversion machinery and we'll be in a
reasonable shape to start looking at merging it into ipython proper.

If you are interested in helping along, let me know and I'll provide
more details.

I hope that in the future we'll be able to provide with all the
'scipy*' projects:

- executable notebooks for users to play with examples
- nice sphinx html generated from these for online docs
- pure .py versions of the codes for non-ipython use

We're very close to all of this being possible, we just need to finish
up a tiny bit of code.

Cheers,