[SciPy-Dev] Scipy 1.0 roadmap

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 14:54:09 EDT 2013

Hi all,

At EuroScipy Pauli, David and I sat together and drafted a roadmap for
Scipy 1.0. We then discussed this offline with some of the other currently
most active core devs, to get it into a state that's ready for discussion
on this list. So here it is: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/2908

Our aim is for this roadmap to help guide us towards a 1.0 version, which
will contain only code that we consider to be "of sufficient quality".
Also, it will help to communicate to new and potential developers where
their contributions are especially needed.

In order to discuss/review this roadmap without generating a monster
thread, I propose the following:
- topics like "do we need a roadmap?" or "what does 1.0-ready really mean?"
are discussed on this thread.
- things in the General section (API changes, documentation/test/build
guidelines, etc.), are discussed on this thread as well.
- for discussion of module-specific content, start a new thread and name it
"1.0 roadmap: <module_name>".
- for minor things, comment on the PR.

Cheers,
Ralf