[SciPy-Dev] Scipy 1.0 roadmap

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Sep 24 07:28:07 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 09/21/2013 08:57 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>> fftpack
>> ```````
>> Needed:
>>
>>    - solve issues with single precision: large errors, disabled for
>> difficult sizes
>>    - fix caching bug
>>    - Bluestein algorithm nice to have, padding is alternative
>
> A battle-tested Bluestein is included in Martin Reinecke's C port of
> FFTPACK.
>
> https://github.com/dagss/libfftpack
>
> As you can see in the readme there were a couple of changes to FFTPACK
> to improve accuracy for large primes.

If this is nicely-licensed C code that provides a superset of
scipy.fftpack's functionality, ought we to merge it into *numpy*.fft
and deprecate scipy.fftpack? (I'm a little confused at what exactly
the difference between the numpy and scipy modules is in this case,
except that of course the scipy version needs a fortran compiler.)

-n