[SciPy-Dev] 1.0 roadmap: weave

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Sep 25 12:18:15 EDT 2013

Hi,

> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> weave
> `````
> This is the only module that was not ported to Python 3.  Effectively it's
> deprecated (not recommended to use for new code).  In the future it should be
> removed from scipy (can be made into a separate module).

Let me just mention that I am worried about the removal of weave:
a substantial amount of code developed in our group over the years
uses weave. Porting this to cython seems not trivial,
in particular, because many of the original authors
(diploma students, PhD students, ...) have left academia by now.

Well, as porting weave to Python 3 is way out of my capabilities,
this is just a comment in the hope that someone could give this a try
(if at some point testing would be needed, I could try to help,
of course).

Best, Arnd