[SciPy-Dev] An inconsistency in scipy.optimize.minimize

Yuxiang Wang yw5aj at virginia.edu
Mon Jan 27 16:36:05 EST 2014

Dear all,

I have been using the wrapper in scipy.optimize, the minimize(), to
call L-BFGS-B method. One option that I'd like to set, is called
"epsilon", as shown in this page.

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.optimize.fmin_l_bfgs_b.html

However, by digging into the code, I realize that this value's name is
called "eps" instead of "epsilon" in the minimize wrapper. That is to
say,

options = {'epsilon': 1e-3}

will not work and says it is not recgonized, but

options = {'eps': 1e-3}

can work.

I think this will cause future users a lot of confusions (not everyone
will dig into the code to find out what it is called). Or... it could
be me understanding something wrong as well.

What do you guys think?

-Shawn

--
Yuxiang "Shawn" Wang