[SciPy-Dev] [Numpy-discussion] ANN: Scipy 0.14.0 beta 1 release

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 04:08:12 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just built some scipy b1 OSX wheels, and put them here:
> >>

> https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/scipy_installers/scipy-0.14.0b1-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
> >>

> https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/scipy_installers/scipy-0.14.0b1-cp33-cp33m-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
> >>
> >> As usual, you need a recent copy of pip, setuptools:
> >>
> >> pip install --upgrade pip
> >>
> >> Then download and:
> >>
> >> pip install scipy-0.14.0b1-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
> >>
> >> (for example).  Feedback welcome.
> >>
> >> I built these on 10.9 and tested on a completely bare 10.6 machine.
> >> I'll automate the build more, but for now the instructions are here:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/matthew-brett/delocate
> >

> > Nice.
> >
> > This reminded me of https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/2829 again.
> Imho
> > we should drop support for <Win7 in the official installers and use a
> > similar approach with private dlls for Windows.
>
> That seems reasonable to me.  Is there any way of estimating how many
> Windows XP users are downloading the .exe installers these days?
>
> David C - what do you think about something like this?

Dropping support for XP is fine by me as long as we are only talking about
the official installers (e.g. building numpy with MSVC should stilll work
on XP) . It is only a data point, but @ Enthought, we have quite a few
customers on XP. I would not go as far as saying that's the most common
version of windows, but that's not the least common either.

I would also reiterate my plea to avoid any PATH or pre-loading. Every
library that does this has been a constant source of pain in my experience:
embedding, integration with large 3rd party framework (especially the ones
using multi-threading), etc...  We remove it in every library we support @
Enthought (e.g. pytables 2.x)

IMO, installing the mingw DLLs is the least bad option.

David