[SciPy-Dev] Signal Smooth

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:58:01 EDT 2015

Nicolas Petitclerc <npetitclerc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it would be worth it, for the cases when you plot a 1D array, it
> looks very messy(noisy) and you just want to quickly see the general trend.
> A quick way to apply the most common methods: flat and Gaussian filters. A
> few more like Savitzky-Golay, lowess would be nice, and simple to do, but
> the idea would be to add convenience for the most basic operations.

Lowess (aka loess) is a scatterplot smoother, not a signal smoother. It
more properly belongs to the realm of statsmodels (which actually has it).
Smoothing splines and kernel regression are other alternatives to lowess. I
am not sure scipy.signal should implement a method to deal with unevenly
sampled data.

"Smoothing" is also sometimes used errorneously for denoising, which
includes methods such as Wiener filtering and wavelet shrinkage.

Sturla