[SciPy-Dev] SciPy governance model

Evgeni Burovski evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:42:05 EDT 2016

> So, I strongly suspect that our choice of model will come down to
> whether we can agree on a project leader, or agree on a way to chose
> one.  The obvious candidates would I guess be in this list:
>
> git shortlog -ns --since "5 years ago" | head -5
>
>   1789 Pauli Virtanen
>   1528 Ralf Gommers
>    770 Evgeni Burovski
>    604 Alex Griffing
>    402 Warren Weckesser
>
> I have the impression that you (Ralf) and Pauli have also been the
> most active in reviewing and merging pull requests over that time.

As far as I'm concerned, I always considered these two individuals as
project leads.

>  I think we should consider the numpy governance model, only if
> there are none of you who want to be leader.

Agreed --- it's better to have at each point in time a person with
deciding vote or veto.
Or two persons. And for a really low-probability case where they two
cannot agree, they together designate a third one. (Not sure we need
to worry about that possibility though.)

If we want to be fancy and can't find a better alternative, we can
consider a EU presidency model where the deciding vote position is
rotating among the dev team on a time basis.