[SciPy-Dev] cKDTree

Sylvain Corlay sylvain.corlay at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:03:31 EDT 2016

Would you guys consider in scope for scipy to have implementation of faster
nearest neighbor search methods than KdTree?

Some methods are fairly simple... e.g principal axis tree which use the
principal direction of the dataset to split the dataset into smaller
subsets.  As soon as intrinsic dimensionality is significantly smaller than
the dimension of the space, it is significantly faster.

Besides, only having to compute the (an approximate) principal axis is much
faster than doing an actual PCA.