[SciPy-Dev] establishing a Code of Conduct for SciPy

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 22:57:20 EDT 2017

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Charles R Harris
> > <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> more
> good
> we're
> is
> potentially leave
> require
> has the
> gives.

> fairly
> guide

> then
> your own).
> the most
> mostly
> operate.
> more
> >>>>

> >> The contributor covenant looks excellent, short, well structured, and
> easy
> >> to understand. I'd suggest adding just a bit for clarification, for
> >> instance, what venues (mailing lists, github) are considered in the
> SciPy
> >> domain, and a bit on whom to contact in case of problems.
> >

> > Thanks for the feedback Chuck. Pauli said on GitHub he preferred
> something
> > shorter and less flowery as well, so that's two votes for the contributor
> > covenant or something more in that direction.
>
> It looks like the link above goes to the 1.2 version of the
> Contributor Covenant, while the latest version is 1.4:
>
>     https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/
>
> The 1.4 version has a little more detail on venues and a slot to put
> in a contact address.

The extra sections are good but I think the long enumerations dilute the
message. All means all is a stronger statement than a list of every
conceivable attribute. I think the 1.2 version is better in that regard.

I do think there needs to be at least somewhat more detail on how
> reports will be handled -- the last thing you need while trying to
> handle a painful and delicate issue is to also be trying to figure
> out, like, which mailing list you can use to talk about it or whether
> you need to be setting up a new one. At least something like "we'll
> have a small committee, they'll have a private mailing list, archives
> will be available to the committee members but otherwise confidential,
> reports will be acknowledged quickly, if a complaint is about someone
> on the committee then they'll recuse themselves", that kind of stuff.

At the least we should be in a position to handle a complaint if one shows
up. Looks like some of the organizations have a separate enforcement
manual, which I think is a good idea. Most SciPy interactions are in public
venues which should help.

Chuck