[SciPy-Dev] Help with Hackathon, tomorrow

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 20:12:09 EDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:22 AM, Eric Larson <larson.eric.d at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do any of you have suggestions for issues we could work on?   I'd love
>> to hear any suggestions.
>>

> One option would be to suggest that each interested participant open the
> SciPy issues and PRs list, and then sub-select based on the `label`
> corresponding to a submodule they might be interested in. That way people
> will gravitate toward domains where they have knowledge and feel
> comfortable, and it cuts down on the number of issues they need to look at
> (because we have so many).
>
> And of course there is also the "good first issue" label, which can be
> useful even if it's inconsistently applied.

One of those issues is https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/7168.  There
are hundreds of function in the library that do not have an "Examples"
section.  It would be great to bring that number down.  Adding some
examples could be a good way to get folks started with the SciPy
development work flow (building the library, building the docs, and making
pull requests).  If you pursue this, be sure that everyone is aware of PEP
8 (https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/) and knows where to find the
docstring standard (
https://numpydoc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/format.html#docstring-standard).

Have fun!