[SciPy-Dev] Thoughts on creating a toolbox for analysis of nonlinear dynamical system analysis

Joseph Slater joseph.c.slater at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 12:36:17 EDT 2018

> On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:03 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 8:39 AM, Joseph Slater <joseph.c.slater at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Ralf: There was a recent discussion on the frustrations of lack of SciPy contributors- mousai is an example, along with my other projects, some more relevant to potential future inclusion in SciPy, some less.
>
> I wouldn't call them frustrations - compared to some years ago we're in pretty good shape. It's also not lack of contributors (200 open PRs currently and ~100 contributors per release), it's lack of maintainers.
>
> Mousai does look like a good start. I'm not a domain expert, but I'm well aware of the limited options in this area. Adding Mousai to https://scipy.org/topical-software.html may be useful to make it more discoverable - I'd be happy to merge a PR at https://github.com/scipy/scipy.org

I apologize for my laziness in description. I was being overly expedient.

I would love to have it more discoverable. I would certainly love users, contributors, etc. Do I need to do anything?

I have to admit being a bit cautious or timid- my personal sense of awe a the quality for the code in SciPy, Numpy, etc., highlights what is a 20+ year loss in the Matlab wilderness- with commensurate brain damage.

I'm not sure when something is worth inclusion in scipy.org, but perhaps I should have been asking earlier.

I do have 3 other packages, one just a little, but useful, hack:

vibrationtesting : parallel to a manuscript I'm working on. The intention is to maybe roll this into scipy, at least in part. However, the signal processing needs are definitely a bit different, so perhaps it's best as a stand alone. Pieces could be brought over eventually.
vibration_toolbox : educational demonstration code (demonstration of the physics, not of python) with modest problem-solving usefulness
array_to_latex (much faster to make a properly formatted latex array from a numpy 2D array)

The last is tiny, a bit of a pragmatic hack, but oh so useful when trying to get an array into a document. I would love to figure out an appropriate way to make it a numpy array method- alas, my skills in object oriented programming.

If any of this is appropriate, I appreciate the attention and guidance.

Best Regards- Joe