[SciPy-Dev] SciPy now fiscally sponsored by NumFOCUS

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 04:35:11 EDT 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to tell you that, finally, SciPy is now fiscally sponsored by
NumFOCUS. We signed a "Fiscal Sponsorship Agreement" between the SciPy
Steering Council and NumFOCUS, see
https://numfocus.org/information-fiscal-sponsorship (comprehensive model).

What this means is basically that we can have access to services like
administrative, legal, marketing support, and can through NumFOCUS accept
donations, grants, etc. and use those funds to further improve SciPy. Until
now we were only an "affiliated project", which didn't give us our own
account or the right to use funds that were donated to NumFOCUS dedicated
to SciPy (note that we did get some financial support before, e.g. the
small grants for optimize.linprog and pydata/sparse).

One thing we do need to do is clarify the situation around sponsors on
scipy.org. Right now it says "sponsored by Enthought" fairly prominently on
every page, and all other sponsors are hidden away at
https://scipy.org/scipylib/donations.html#infrastructure-non-financial-support.
NumFOCUS asked that we fix this. The situation is:
1. NumFOCUS is our fiscal sponsor
2. We have a number of former and current sponsors (both money and things
like free infrastructure or services). Those all need to be acknowledged in
a fair and visible way.

I will work on an update to scipy.org (aiming for next week) to fix this. A
more comprehensive overhaul of scipy.org would also be nice at some point,
but that's for later.

Cheers,
Ralf