[SciPy-Dev] Season of Docs - welcome Anne, Maja, Brandon

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 19:46:36 EDT 2019

Hi all,

Google has announced the Season of Docs participants for this year [1]. We
had a lot of excellent candidates and had to make some hard choices. We
applied for extra slots, but unfortunately didn't win the lottery for
those; we got one slot for NumPy and one for SciPy. We chose the projects
of Anne for NumPy and Maja for SciPy:

Anne Bonner, "Making "The Basics" a Little More Basic: Improving the
Introductory NumPy Sections" [2]

Maja Gwozdz, "User-oriented documentation and thorough restructuring" [3]

That's not all though. There was some space left in the budget of the NumPy
BIDS grant, and Stéfan has reserved that so we can accept more writers and
provide them the same mentoring and funding as they would have gotten
through GSoD. We could only start the conversations about that once Google
made its decisions, so a further announcement will follow. However, we
already have one extra project confirmed, from Brandon:

Brandon David, "Improve the documentation of scipy.stats" (project details
to be published).

I will send out a poll to find a good time for everyone for a kickoff call.
Our intent is to build a documentation team with multiple writers and
mentors interacting and able to help each other out. And all of this will
also interact with the numpy.org website redesign and the people putting
energy into that:)

I'm very happy to welcome Anne, Maja and Brandon!

Cheers,
Ralf

[1] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/participants/
[2]