[SciPy-Dev] Backend support for fftpack - GSoC 2019

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed May 8 18:59:14 EDT 2019

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM Peter Bell <PeterBell10 at live.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I’m happy to say my GSoC proposal was accepted,

Hey Peter, congratulations! We're happy to have you on board!

so I’ll be working over the summer to add support for multiple fftpack
> backends. For those interested, I’ve extracted the main discussion from my
> proposal which you can read here:
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hGMc6ZrsmSi_LSixI5oFbo5cZkPUo92sfmnVthg1u6Y/edit

Thanks, interesting. Will take a little while to process. I just give some
very initial thoughts below (so take with a grain of salt).

> There are a several design decisions I raise in the proposal and any
> comments would be appreciated. Of particular note:
>
> * Should backends be allowed to add functionality or should they be
> completely interchangeable. E.g. unlike fftpack, FFTW has support for long
> doubles; should this be exposed to SciPy users?

If a user writes backend-specific code, then they may just as well bypass
the backend right, and call the other library directly? Although for long
double things will work out of the box perhaps, because the dtype of an
input array doesn't come back in the API. So the array can be passed
straight to the backend.

> * Is there any interest in adding a SciPy config file? For just one option
> it’s probably not worthwhile but if there is interest in more config
> options then it starts to make more sense.

My sense is no. Something like a context manager (`with
backend('pyfftw'):`) is lightweight enough probably.

This is probably also a good time to point out http://uarray.readthedocs.io/.
It can provide a complete backend system without too much work, it was
designed exactly for the type of problem you're trying to solve here. Would
be good to have your thoughts on that.

> Ideally a clear set of design goals can be agreed upon now, before it gets
> too far into the coding period which begins at the end of the month.

Yes great idea.

Cheers,
Ralf