[SciPy-Dev] Github workflow

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Oct 11 14:57:03 EDT 2019

pe, 2019-10-11 kello 21:49 +0300, Pauli Virtanen kirjoitti:
> to, 2019-10-10 kello 08:34 +0200, Andrew Nelson kirjoitti:
> > devs,
> > I'm involved in giving some feedback to Github at the moment, as
> > related to how SciPy users experience Github. Does anyone have any
> > feedback on:
> >
> > - Bugs / Feature requests - are there Github workflows you want to
> > enable? What's the specific feature you want?
>
> There are low-hanging fruits for improving the review workflow.
> Here's the most important:
>
> Add a button the PR submitter / maintainers can press, which adds a
> status marker for "requesting further review from *someone*". New PRs
> would have the status flag set, and the submitter could use this to
> mark a PR ready after making requested changes.

I'd also like to note that Aaron Meurer's blog post makes a similar
point (although pushing commits instead of a button):

https://www.asmeurer.com/blog/posts/github-reviews-gripes/

"""
Next gripe, and this, I want to stress, makes the whole feature
completely useless for my needs: reviews do not reset when new commits
are pushed.
[clip]
But unlike your automated test suite, which reset and get a new go
every time you push a change (because hey, who knows, maybe the change
ACTUALLY FIXED THE ISSUE), reviews do not reset, unless the original
reviewers explicitly change them. So my dream of being able to glance
at the pull request list and see which PRs need changes has officially
been piped. Even if the list actually showed what PRs have been
reviewed, it would be a lie, because as soon as the PR author pushes a
change, the review status becomes potentially outdated.
"""